terça-feira, agosto 15, 2006

Apostrophe (‘)

Yellow Snow Suite

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow / Nanook Rubs It / St. Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast / Father O'Blivion

Talking about Frank Zappa. I suddenly realised that up until now I never made a post with his music which is a shame because he’s my alpha and omega, what music is concerned. I came in contact with the man and his music at a rather early age [16] and since then, music was never the same again.

I was overwhelmingly burried in a world of experimental jazz, classical and electronic music, worldmusic avan-la lettre, pop and all sorts of black music, guitar extravaganza and weird sexually twisted cabaret, I can go on and on,... The man has it all.

A good introduction is the Nanook medley from 1974’s Apostrophe, which follow the adventures of Nanook the Eskimo as he battles against an evil fur trapper, who ends up being blinded when Nanook rubs a ‘dog doo snowcone’ into his eyes. He seeks a cure at St. Alfonzo's parish, which is overseen by Father O'Blivion, master pancake chef. Yeah, the lyrics are completely ridiculous, but they're basically just an excuse to tie together some fantastic funky musical ideas. The high-speed Father O'Blivion is incredible, and especially Ruth Underwood's percussion is amazing throughout. Usually a repeated hearing of a joke makes the joke wear thin but I never get tired of this one.

What the Apostrophe is all about, beats me, but the answer should be 'easy to see, since the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.' Dixit Zappa. He himself never elaborated on it, though I have read a theory that on a variety of Gaine's dog biscuits [only on sale in America], the apostrophe in the brand logo is located directly at the center. Obviously, this is all very deep stuff.

Nevertheless over the years it has proven it’s merrits as a good introduction to Zappa’s music. I hope you enjoy it and may you go on plonging his music.

Nenhum comentário: